Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sheet in ze boosh

Well, that was the words of Stefan, the French surf instructor...that to surf well, one needs to look like they are "taking a sheet in ze boosh, not ze Eiffel Tower" This wasn't my problem with surfing. I had lots of other problems! The last two days were really instructive, and it was good, because the waves got progressively harder as the time wore on (nature's doing, not the school's)...I got up once or twice, but in general just struggled. Surfing, I have decided, is REALLY HARD. It didn't help that I am a switchfoot, it seems--I surf equally poorly with both my right and left foot out front. Sort of like trying to bat right or left handed...I was switching back and forth. I'm not really surprised that I was doing this, as I do it for lots of other sports (tennis, bowling, etc), and so I knew that it would probably be frustrating (if I let myself be frustrated)...but I didn't care. I was out, having fun playing in the ocean, so all was well. But my instructor got a bit frustrated, because he couldn't figure out what was making me so horrible at the whole thing. In the end, though, I think I'd like to try surfing again...I suppose I'll have to head out to the Carolina coast when I get back.

Noosa in general: I heard (once I got there) that iwas one of the top three most expensive streets in Australia. I believe that...Sydney is cheaper! One can dine on The Rocks (bayside views of the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge) for the same price or a little less than what is found in Noosa. It's insane.

Well, the Internet cafe tells me I'm out of time. I have lots more to say, but it'll just have to wait until tomorrow.

Bec, signing off

3 comments:

Heidi said...

hehehehe... that's awesome. I like your French instructor. Was he cute? ;)

Goes by the name of Anna said...

Haha, I had a good snigger at sheeting in ze boosh...

Glad it's all going well. I was far, far too bouncey and excited after that phone call!

Also, I have procured a road-map of Tassie, and a friend's book of walking trails... Yay!

Rebecca said...

The French instructor was cute...and married. Le sigh?

Anna--I'll give you a call again so you can be less bouncy! I have coinage again...

Yay road-map! Hope you plan on driving a bit!